VINCI Construction UK traces its origins back a hundred years to 1918, when concrete specialist Holst & Co was founded in London by Danish civil engineers Knud Holst and Christian Lunoe. The company built a team of skilled people with a pioneering mindset, quickly earning a reputation for quality and innovation.
Over the years the addition of trusted names such as Norwest Construction and Taylor Woodrow widened the company’s capabilities, enabling us to integrate developing technologies and lead the way in burgeoning new industries. From building the very first nuclear power station at Calder Hall to work on the Channel Tunnel, our teams have created an enduring legacy.
As part of the VINCI Group, we continue to work on internationally recognised projects. Whether preserving history at Stonehenge or connecting communities through Crossrail, our teams are shaping the world for a whole new generation.
1918 - Holst & Co. is founded in London by Danish civil engineers Knud Holst and Christian Lunoe. The company specialises in the design and construction of structural reinforced concrete.
1923 - Norwest Construction is formed in Liverpool by four businessmen to carry out the laying of underground cables.
1969 - Holst & Co. and Norwest Construction merge to form Norwest Holst.
1980s - The company becomes the largest privately owned construction group in the UK.
1991 - French company, SGE, acquires a majority shareholding of Norwest Holst.
1998 - In recognition of its renewed financial strength and status within the industry, Norwest Holst Limited becomes Norwest Holst Group plc.
2002 - Norwest Holst Group plc becomes VINCI plc. It acquires Crispin & Borst, a group of London building contractors active in maintenance, refurbishment, interior fit-out and new build.
2006 - VINCI plc acquires certain business assets and the trading mark of retail fit-out specialist PEL Group Limited, established in 1930.
2007 - Acquisition of Weaver plc, a Midlands-based construction company established in 1865, and its subsidiaries.
2008 - VINCI plc acquires Taylor Woodrow Construction, formed in 1921 by 16-year-old Frank Taylor and destined to become a household name.
2008 - Acquisition of the share capital of Cardiff-based building contractor Fifehead Limited, the holding company of Stradform Limited, Stradform Midlands and Stradform South West.
2008 - Acquisition of Gordon Durham & Co, a family-owned Newcastle Upon Tyne building contractor.
2009 - Norwest Holst Limited changes its name to VINCI Construction UK Limited and VINCI plc consolidates its operations under the new company name.
2009 - Acquisition of the business assets relating to Haymills Property Solutions and East Anglian Projects.
2009 - VINCI Facilities is formed, bringing together the facilities management capabilities of VINCI Construction UK companies in one customer-focused offering.
2011 - The civil engineering division of VINCI Construction UK is renamed Taylor Woodrow in recognition of its world-class heritage in civil engineering projects.
View the video below for a visual journey through VINCI’s history